I made one of our favorite Thai dinners last night (Rama Showers - tofu, spinach and peanut sauce with jasmine rice). While I was cutting up the tofu to cook up, one of the pieces fell on the floor and Bubba (our mini-schnauzer) got it. We didn't really think anything of it at the time. However, an hour later our poor little guy had hives all over his body! Apparently, he's allergic to soy. We rushed him to the doggie emergency room and they fixed him up with some anti-histamines and cortizone. After we got home, he seemed to be much calmer and slept for a little while. Then about 3 in morning, the benedryl must have worn off, because he was totally restless and itchy. We gave him some more benedryl, but he never really settled back in.
Lessons learned: don't work too hard and don't feed your dog tofu. Who knew?